Friday, June 5, 2009

Do not try this at home!

I'm not an amazing baker or anything but there's rarely a time when a recipe I try goes horribly, unbelievably wrong. Last night was one of those rare occasions.

I tried to make cookies...chocolate chunk cookies to be exact. And I used a tried-and-true recipe book Cook This by Amy Rosen. It was, admittingly, the first time I tried this recipe. But I thought, "Hey, it's chocolate chip cookies. Four, eggs, butter, chocolate. How could this go wrong?" Well...

The batter went over well. I must have ate two cookie's worth of batter before baking! If I had known better I would have stopped the whole process there and been content with a big batch of uncooked cookie dough. IN fact, Rosen herself has a tip on the recipe page about how good the dough is to eat raw.

When I did try to bake them, the first attempt resulted in flat, wet circles which continued to spread into flatter, wetter circles in the oven. They didn't cook!

Then I thought of the bright idea to put the dough into my mini-cupcake tin which would enclose the batter so it couldn't run. Bad idea. They came out little burned mini-cupcakes of cookie dough gross-ness.

Anyway, I wasted all those ingredients and a 1/2 hour of my night for nothing. Well, not nothing. Now I can avoid this recipe like the plague and I recommend you do so too.

Chocolate Chunk Cookies:
1/2 cup vegetable shortening
1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
2 eggs, beaten
1 tsp vanilla
1 1/4 cups flour
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
8 oz semi sweet chocolate (chips, chunks, or broken-up bars)

1. Preheat oven to 375 F and spray cookie sheet with nonstick spray
2. In a large bowl, mix shortening and butter, add sugars and beat until no lumps appear and batter is smooth. Add eggs and vanilla; stir to combine.
3. Add in flour, salt and baking soda. Add chocolate and stir away. You now have cookie batter...[STOP HERE! Enjoy it while you can!]
4. Using hands, roll dough into 1-inch balls, and place on cookie sheet 4 by 4, at equal distances apart. Bake 10-12 minutes or until golden brown [yeah, right!]. Let rest for a minute and remove from tray and let cook on wire rack.

Good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment