Friday, May 22, 2009

Mmm muffins


Though convenience food is tempting there is something terribly satisfying about making food yourself from scratch. The conflict of craving is always better resolved when the filling comes from your own work. Boxes and take outs are never as good, or good for you, as a homemade treat.

So when I wanted a muffin the other night I thought to my favorite muffin recipe and wondered what I had in the house to make it. I used Amy Rosen's base recipe for Smooshed Banana-Chocolate Muffins. But since I didn't have much chocolate (I know, a sad day) I subbed in some walnuts and toffee chips. I got my muffin and some more that did us for the rest of the week!

Here's the recipe, and I suggest experimenting with your own filling substitutions:

3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/3 cup sugar
3/4 tsb baking powder
pinch salt
1 very ripe banana, mashed
1 egg, beaten
1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
2 tbs milk
1/2 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350 F
In a large bowl, mix together flour, sugar baking powder and salt. Add mashed banana, egg, butter, milk and vanilla. Stir until just blended. Toss in chocolate chips and give another quick stir.

Spray muffin tin or line with paper liners. Divide batter between cups (about 3/4 ways up) and bang the tin on the counter to release any air bubbles. Bake for 20-25 minutes until tops are golden and a toothpick inserted into centre of the centre muffin comes out clean.

To quote Rosen's Cook This: Recipe's for the Goodtime Girl, "muffins are the perfect snack for people on the go."

These are super quick to make, really take substitutions well, and you can control what goes into them (instead of those monster fat muffins you get at the store). Want more fiber? Add whole wheat flour or some ground flax. Want more vitamins? Add berries! Less fat? Substitute applesauce for some of the butter. Easy peasy.

I've used this recipe before and doubled it, and added more chocolate, to make cupcakes for a friend's birthday. And they really do wonders at the office!

No comments:

Post a Comment