Thursday, May 28, 2009

Man your breading stations!

So I'm a food lover and a geek...

We had some great cod the other night and I decided to pan fry it with some homemade breading. There are many ways to bread fish (or chicken, pork chops, veggies, etc.) such as with flour, beer batter, or panko but I do it with seasoned breadcrumbs. Here's my tried and true technique:

My "breading stations" includes an egg mixture (two eggs slightly beaten, with a dash of salt and pepper) and a breadcrumb mixture (stale bread blitzed into crumbs, with some herbs and Parmesan).

First flour your fish (or whatever you're having). Seriously this makes a difference so don't skip this step!


Then dunk it into the egg mixture.


Then dunk it into the breadcrumbs and press the crumbs into the fish so they stick.


Then fry (in a bit of oil) until the fish is golden brown on both sides.


Tip: you'll know the food is ready to turn in the frying pan because it won't stick anymore. Food will tell you when it's ready. Fish may fall apart because it gets flakey when it's cooked. This breading works really well for chicken and pork cutlets which keep their composure and cook quickly as to not burn the breading.

For the breadcrumbs:
I have lots of little bags of leftover goodies in my freezer. When there's a heel of bread left or bread starts going stale, I freeze it. To make the breadcrumbs I use my food processor and blitz the heck out of some frozen bread (this time it was sourdough).


If you have leftover crumbs (not used and not touched by raw meat) you can store them for next time...guess where? In the freezer!


Additional tip: label whatever you're storing so you're not stuck with a million little baggies of white stuff (is it egg yolks? cream? stock?) and date them so you know when you should probably chuck old stuff. I speak from experience: I recently found a large chunk of what I think is (was) Sheppard's pie but neglected to label it so your guess is as good as mine!

No comments:

Post a Comment