Friday, April 24, 2009

Non-recipe onion soup recipe

Every now and then I end up with large quantity of one item in our pantry. This week it was onions. So, I thought to make onion soup. Now, I don't have a recipe for this since I have just made it from instinct since as long as I can remember. I can recall my mother making this when we were kids and putting bread on top, and cheese, and broiling the soup in little French onion soup bowls which were only used for that purpose, and that purpose alone.

I can remember what went into that soup and, although I don't own any of those little bowls, I think my version tastes pretty good. Secret weapon: large-mouthed coffee cups which can be stuck under the broiler (if you choose to put bread and cheese on top...crusty bread and Swiss please!).

So my non-recipe recipe is as follows:
- Melt some butter and olive oil in a large pot. Butter (or margarine) for flavour and olive oil because it can stand more heat and keeps the butter from burning.
- Slice up a couple onions and put them down in the pot. The other night I used up everything I had left, which was about five medium onions. Less onions will make your soup less onion-y and more onions, well, you get the drift.
Time-saver tip: the food processor does an amazingly quick job of slicing onions. And no tears!
- Stir to coat them in the butter/oil and cover the pot and let the onions soften for about 5 mins.
- Add whatever seasoning you want: salt, pepper for sure, some basil or oregano, garlic...
- Then put in a bunch of beef broth. "A bunch" is about one of those resealable cartons sold next to the soups. You can add more or less broth, depending on the amount of onions you've got and how watery you want your soup. You can also add water to the broth if you want a less intense flavour. I got for low-sodium broth. You can also use chicken or veg. broth I guess but beef is the traditional ingredient.
- Simmer that for a while (see how non-recipe this recipe is?!) about 20 mins.
- To serve, put some soup in a bowl or mug (preferably one that's oven-proof).
- Added bonus: top with bread and cheese and put under broiler for 2-3 mins. until cheese is melted and slightly browned.
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment