Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Banana bread yumminess


Last night's dinner took a long time to cook (chicken in the oven for about 20 minutes) so I started thumbing through my recipe drawer and found an old Chatelaine recipe mini-book that came with a magazine a while ago. In it was a recipe for the "word's best banana bread" and I thought...wait, I have bananas! So in the time it took me to wait for my chicken to cook I whipped up a nice loaf of banana bread. It was perhaps the easiest recipe and tastiest banana bread I've had.



Here's the recipe to try:

3 very ripe large bananas, mushed with a fork (should be no more than 1 1/2 cups)
1 3/4 all-purpose flour
1/2 cup unsweetened desiccated coconut
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1tbs baking powder
1/2 tsp each baking soda, salt, ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
2 eggs
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1/2 tsp vanilla


Substitution note 1: the recipe calls for coconut but I didn't have any so I added about 1/4 cup grated carrot. It worked to keep the loaf moist and, as an extra bonus, add some fiber and carrot-goodness.

Substitution note 2: This recipe is pretty close to being dairy-free (vegan) so if you want to go all the way you can substitute the 2 eggs for
  • 1 heaping tbs baking powder, 1 tbs oil
    plus 1 tbs warm water
  • 1 heaping tbs baking powder, 1 tbs apple cider vinegar plus 1 tbs warm water
Directions:
Preheat oven to 350F (180C). Lightly oil/spray 9x5in. loaf pan.
In a large bowl, sift together with a whisk flour, coconut (or carrot), sugar, baking powder and soda, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg. In a small bowl, whisk eggs. Whisk in oil and vanilla. Pour egg mixture into center of dry mixture. Using a wooden spoon, stir until batter is just moist. Stir in bananas and be careful to not overmix. Scrape batter into prepared loaf pan. Smooth top.
Bake in center of oven until a cake tester or toothpick inserted into center of loaf comes out clean, about 50-60 minutes.

Cool loaf in pan 10 minutes. Run a knife around inside of pan to loosen loaf. Turn out loaf onto cooling rack to cool completely.

Between my boyfriend, friends and co-workers, this loaf is already eaten and long gone in just a few hours. If you can manage to keep some, it will apparently last up to 3 days at room temperature, a week in the fridge or you can freeze it for up to 2 months.

I'll make this one again for sure...and maybe add some raisins or walnuts. Based on the success and ease of this banana bread recipe, I am excited to try other recipes from this mini-recipe book from Chatelaine. I'll blog about them when I do!

No comments:

Post a Comment